Red-Hot Resources

"Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.”

Monday, August 13, 2007

I've Arrived in Camp

We’ve arrived in camp. I’m bunking in a Weatherhaven hut (aka “Arctic palace”, lol) and getting ready for the next outing. On the way to the camp, we flew over tundra split by meandering streams and dotted with ice-cold lakes. Most of the caribou have moved on for the season. There are a few Canadian geese hanging around by the camp; apparently they can no longer fly. I would worry about them surviving the winter, but the wolves will likely get them first.

The company I’m visiting has plenty of local workers. One of them, “Cowboy,” showed me around. It’s a small but busy camp, and we’re about to go check out one of the three drills they have busy drilling for kimberlite samples. Kimberlite is the source rock you find diamonds in. If not a drill, we'll look at "float" -- Kimberlite on the surface for which the source rock has not been determined yet.

No photos because I can't upload them on this internet connection

Before I left, I recorded an interview for Market Matters radio. You can listen to that here:

http://tinyurl.com/2foroa

Check out my new gold and energy blog at MoneyAndMarkets.com