Red-Hot Resources

"Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.”

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Goin' North!

I started this morning in West Palm Beach, Florida, I'm now in Utah; still not even halfway to my final destination in the Arctic.

We flew in over the Rockies (breathtakingly beautiful) and then the Great Salt Lake, which has split into two lakes (or one lake and a pond) due to falling water levels. There is a gorgeous spike-like tower structure on the shores of the lake; I have to confess I'm ignorant as to what that is.

Here are some of the stories I've been reading while waiting for my connection in Salt Lake City ...

Get ready for food-price spike Dean Foods Co., the largest milk processor in the United States, says it is "being challenged by the most stubbornly inflationary dairy markets in history," a global phenomenon that "feels like a perfect storm, and it isn't over."


Banks Add More Funds To Stabilize MarketsBubble and Bust Tulips, anyone?

Goldman's Global Alpha Hedge Fund Declines 26 Percent in 2007, People Say (that's Goldman's largest hedge fund, by the way)

Crude Oil Falls to Near Five-Week Low on Indications U.S. Demand May Slow Crude oil fell to a five-week low in New York on concern demand may decline if the global economy slows.

Gold, Silver Gain as Investors Seek Haven From Subprime Mortgage Losses Gold and silver rose in New York as investors sought a haven from potential losses tied to the U.S. subprime-mortgage collapse.

And here's a profile in shame. It's like two shovelers at the fertilizer factory arguing over who did the best job of disguising manure as marmalade.

Finally, Arctic sea ice 'lowest in recorded history': scientist. I guess they heard the Florida boy was coming and decided to take it easy on me.

I'll write more when I get to Edmonton



Check out my new gold and energy blog at MoneyAndMarkets.com