Red-Hot Resources

"Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.”

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Oh, Well THAT's a Good Reason To Stop a Mine (NOT!)

A troglobite is a spider-like animal that lives in dark parts of caves. It has adapted to life in total darkness, is blind and uses feelers to explore its way through the dark. Troglobites are unable to live outside their pitch-dark world because they would die from ultraviolet light. Even short exposures to sunlight can be fatal.

Well, that's fascinating stuff. You know me -- I love weird science, whether it's undersea volcanoes with toxic moats of death (still my front-runner for locations for my new secret lair), a jumping spider that wears Tom Friedman's moustache, or civilization-destroying asteroids. So a blind, spider-like creature that will burst into flames if exposed to sunlight -- bring it on!

EXCEPT when the darned thing is halting a proposed billion-dollar iron-ore mine project in Australia. To read the sad story, CLICK HERE.

This is the kind of thing that gives environmentalism a bad name. I'm deeply concerned about how global warming will change our world for the worse. I say we concentrate on that and not worry about the troglobites so much. Unless they've got a cure for cancer concealed in their pitch-black lair, I think it's time to move on.

Labels:

Check out my new gold and energy blog at MoneyAndMarkets.com