Red-Hot Resources

"Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.”

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A Series of Unfortunate Events


I should be back home safe in my bed tonight. However, I am stuck in Houston. Why? Well, I had a little airline problem.

It seems I can’t have a field trip to a resource without something going wrong on the airlines. Unlike my adventure in late August, this time, at least, I did not lose my luggage and my remaining clothes did not end up smelling like stale urine.

Anyway, this time, our plane was late ... very late. Because apparently they had rain in Houston on Monday morning, that delayed our plane arriving in Mexico – by THREE HOURS.

“Don’t worry, everyone is delayed – you’ll still catch your plane,” the helpful Continental Airlines attendant told us. I knew it was a lie from the first time it passed his lips.

The plane shows up. We get on – and the stewardess continues saying: “Don’t
worry, everyone is delayed. You’ll probably still catch your plane.”

We arrive in Houston – and sit on the tarmac for half an hour because all the gangways at immigration are filled with delayed planes. So now I’m four hours late. Maybe our planes are waiting for us, eh?

Not a chance! It was all a cruel, cruel lie! I called Continental and not only had my connecting flight already left, they booked me on the next available flight – 2:20 PM the next day! Dammit!l

Well, at least I’m not sleeping at the airport. Instead I’m in a hotel I’ve never heard of in a room that smells funny. I’m not sure if it smells like some fruity pipe tobacco or maybe just a dead old man who’s been left under the bed or something. I’m too tired to look – if you’re under there, you’ll have to carry on without me, Pops.
Check out my new gold and energy blog at MoneyAndMarkets.com