Red-Hot Resources

"Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.”

Sunday, November 05, 2006

I'm Off to Seek The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

This morning, I hopped aboard a plane to fly to Charlotte, then Dallas, then Durango Mexico (the whole trip takes about 12.5 hours). Now, I'm writing from my hotel room in Durango. The beer is good and the spiders are aggressive (one jumped on me as I enjoyed a cervesa downstairs -- it wouldn't be Mexico without large insects).


Anyway, tomorrow morning, I'm climbing into a small plane to fly over the Sierra Madre to a little silver mine that is gearing up to become a major producer.

The plane flight aside -- I hate flying, I especially hate cramped commercial flights, and 12.5 hours of it was brutal -- this is the part of the job I love.

I really enjoy getting out in the field and seeing
what geologists and miners are accomplishing. It is exciting stuff, and the lifeblood of our business.I should be able to post to my blog at least once or twice on this trip.

Unlike my recent trip to Labrador, Durango isn't THAT remote. It's a far cry from the days of old when prospectors trekked far, far from anything resembling civilization to follow their dreams.

But the dreams are still there ... just the transportation and the method of prying those dreams from the earth's grasp have changed

Have a great weekend -- I'll keep you posted.

Check out my new gold and energy blog at MoneyAndMarkets.com