Red-Hot Resources

"Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.”

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Iceman Cometh

My latest MoneyandMarkets.com column is up...

The Ultimate Liquid Asset
by Sean Brodrick
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:30 AM
Two centuries ago, people in New England were harvesting a resource for practically nothing and selling it at a fat profit in such distant locales as Calcutta, Martinique and Havana. As the wheel ... [More...]

UPDATE: My mother writes, "We used to harvest ice when we lived on the farm. It was covered with sawdust and it lasted in our ice house. Never could figure out how. And living in Boston, we used to follow the ice man down the street, hoping for chips of ice. Reading the article made me thirsty.

"I'll have to ask my elders when we got the refrigerator. I just remember the drip pan was always over flowing and it was a pain. I do remember even in MA the ice man coming in, lugging a huge piece of ice held by a giant ice hook."

Labels: ,

Check out my new gold and energy blog at MoneyAndMarkets.com