Red-Hot Resources

"Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.”

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The First Global Resource War

Here's my latest Money and Markets column.

http://moneyandmarkets.com/press.asp?rls_id=350&cat_id=6&

I'm pleased with how it turned out, but it's always a struggle getting it through editing. I'm not complaining about being edited -- I more than anyone know how much I need an editor. My problem is I'm too loquacious for my own good. I go on ... and on ... and on.

For example, I had some stuff in the original about how the settlers were just as brutal to the Native Americans as the "savages" were to them. They prayed to God on Sunday and scalped "redskins" -- and worse -- every chance they got. I wasn't trying to put that in there to be politically correct; I thought it was a good parallel to how the folks in the Middle East are deeply religious and yet commit truly abominable atrocities against one another.

And I had another interesting parallel in the original -- the settlers deliberately infected Indians with smallpox. That's germ warfare, or weapons of mass destruction. But that was taken out too.

Ah, well. If it were up to me I've be giving a history lecture in every column, wouldn't I? You can thank my editors for keeping me mercifully brief.
Check out my new gold and energy blog at MoneyAndMarkets.com