Red-Hot Resources

"Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.”

Saturday, April 01, 2006

My Marketwatch story on cotton -- stock pick

It's funny how these things happen. A friend of mine couldn't write his column for Marketwatch this week (we're all too damned busy, but he has an excuse -- he's in the hospital). He asked me to write it. The regular editor I talk to was out of the office, so I talk to another editor -- nice guy. I pitch him five ideas, all self-serving. And then I pitch him a sixth, on cotton. For a lot of reasons that I'll show you in a bit, I'm very bullish on cotton.
Guess which one the editor picks? Cotton, of course.
So, I write it the piece. The editor is very pleased with it. But then the other editor comes back. Apparently, I've been writing for Marketwatch too much or something like that. So my cotton story may not run. But ... what the heck ... he'll run it by Marketwatch's commodity reporters and see what they think.
This is on Thursday AM. I don't hear anything the rest of the day. Friday he tells me that Marketwatch's commodity reporters "loved" my cotton story and it was published. But I look on the site and it's not there. If it was on the front of the commentary section, it wasn't there for long.
So here, amigos, is my cotton story ...

http://tinyurl.com/m5ad2

Maybe you'll get some use out of it. There is a stock pick in it -- a pretty good one -- and I can guarantee you that almost no one saw it.
Don't think I'm ticked about this -- it's par for the course, and I am too prolific to worry about individual stories. Besides, my editor at Marketwatch gave me the Guru's Corner on Monday, which is pretty spiffy. I guess they DO like me.
Check out my new gold and energy blog at MoneyAndMarkets.com